Function of backup batteries
In the solar energy industry and its process, a component called “backup batteries” is used to store energy from the Sun. In this article we will discuss more about the function of backup batteries.
What is a backup battery?
A backup battery is simply a solar battery or battery system that stores the energy that has been obtained by solar panels for later use.
These batteries allow one of the best ways to make correct use of solar photovoltaic systems with battery backup: charge the batteries during peak moments of photovoltaic energy and then use the stored electrical energy during the nights or when the sun is not present. .
This form of battery storage generation provides customers who use solar power with clean, reliable and efficient backup power that also decreases their day-to-day dependence on the power grid and helps combat climate change.
Next, we will explain more about the function of backup batteries.
How does the backup battery system work?
During the day, the photovoltaic cell system is responsible for producing the energy necessary to power your home. This energy is stored in the backup battery system to be used later.
For example, if a power failure occurs, the battery backup system will turn on automatically if you choose to have an automatic transfer switch, or you will have to turn the system on manually.
Although it may not seem like it, this backup battery system can generate enough energy to carry out the loads that are necessary or that you want, since they are capable of powering an entire space such as your home or business.
And what happens after? Do the batteries run out of power? Each battery system has a time during which it will provide you with power. Therefore, it is ideal to consult with your solar energy provider. However, once they have been used, the sun will recharge the backup battery system again.
How many batteries are needed to power a home?
In common situations, the battery capacity can be measured or the number of batteries that are selected based on our average annual electricity consumption. That is, in an ordinary home 19 kWh is used, 30% of which is used during the day and 70% is used at night, then it uses about 5.7 kWh during the day and about 13 kWh at night.
This does not lead to the conclusion that they need approximately 13 kWh of solar cell storage to balance all of their nightly use.
Our recommendation is that when buying a home energy storage battery you can choose a battery of 10-15 kWh, enough for your home appliances to be powered at night.
However, in some homes, the electricity consumption of four people can be as high as 50 KWh.
According to the previous point, a 10 kWh battery will not be enough, so you will probably need to buy more batteries for your home.
Importance of having a backup battery system
- They store the excess energy generated by the solar panels or cells.
- In the event that the power grid may fail, the stored energy will be used as a backup power source.
- Do not use the electric power grid and have a percentage of 100% reliability in the generation and distribution of solar energy.
- The energy produced during the day can be used during the nights or peak hours.
- Manage the flow of electricity from renewable resources with the electric service company, compensating for the use of solar energy, receiving a billing credit through the concept of Net Metering.
- In the event of a power outage, a battery backup system will give you peace of mind and security.
- A battery backup system can provide power continuously.
- Solar cells and battery storage systems do not create noise pollution, unlike generators, which often create a strong noise nuisance. If you have an old generator system, we invite you to change it for a more current one so that you can enjoy its benefits.
If you want to know more about the function of backup batteries, at Zolarzo we offer you personalized advice on energy efficiency for your home. Contact us!